Friday 1 January 2016

Introduction

My name is Jason Gallagher, I am twenty six years old and I am a photographer. I do not consider myself a professional or an amateur at this craft, but simply an individual who enjoys documenting the world around me. From developing photographs in a darkroom, to shooting on DSLR cameras, photography has always been a part of my life. What draws me towards photography the most is the documentation aspect as each photograph captures a moment in time. There is a timelessness and emotional value attached to photographs; essentially they resonate and find importance with people.

It was approximately four years ago, when I decided to take a more serious approach to my photography and create a profession for myself. With the purchase of my first DSLR, the Canon 600D, I began my ongoing journey. While enrolled at the ‘South West College’, I was fortunate enough to study photography for a semester. The experience was enriching and I found the knowledge to be a cornerstone in my continuing development as a photographer.
It wasn’t long after this that I found myself in employment with the ‘South West College’ as a Media Intern, while photographing gigs for ‘GiggingNI’ and ‘PlanetMosh’. These experiences allowed me to not only develop my photography skills, but also allowed me to improve my communication skills. I eventually left the South West College, enrolled with Ulster University and continued my work as a freelance photographer with the aforementioned publications.
This had led me to working with ‘Henchman Promotions’ which has allowed me to shoot my first festival, ‘Monster’s of Rot V’ in August of 2015. Although I continued to photograph, my output slowed down for the remainder of the year due to personal reasons. After some much needed time off, I now feel renewed and full of vigour. It's a new year and I am determined to achieve my goals.